Welcome to week 10 of the 10 week ProGrace experience. If you’re just joining us, be sure to check out the first posts: Start a Conversation, Continue the Conversation, Grace Overcomes Shame, Grace and Forgiveness, Shame and Scarcity, Grace and Truth, Grace and Truth, Part 2, The Gospel of Grace and A Safe Place for Conversation.
We’ve come to the end of this part of our journey together! Thank you for investing the time to absorb more of the ProGrace message and test it out in conversations. We are excited for how God will use each of us in our sphere of influence to bring His hope and grace – shifting people’s perceptions every time this topic is brought up.
So much of the ProGrace message was born out of conversations – conversations with God, conversations with pro-life Christians, and conversations with pro-choice advocates. That’s why so much of the 10-week Experience has been about those same conversations.
We will come full circle as we end, again initiating a conversation with a non-believing friend, just like in week one. But this time, we will do some of the talking – explaining the ProGrace approach and getting their feedback on it.
You can go back to the same friend you talked to in week one – or choose someone else who has a very different belief system from yours. Then ask them if they would be willing to give feedback on a fresh approach to the abortion debate.
If they say yes, the easiest way to describe ProGrace is to show them the 2-minute video on our home page.
If you would rather explain it yourself, here are some ideas on what to say:
- ProGrace is a new Christian response based on two principles:
- God’s design of pregnancy has a woman and child intertwined so that anything you do to one impacts the other. We commit to respecting that design and helping the woman and child equally.
- God’s plan for all of us is always grace. We commit to extending the same grace we’ve received to all women facing unplanned pregnancy – through acceptance, emotional support and practical support.
- ProGrace focuses primarily on what Christians, through local churches and organizations, can do differently in thinking, talking, and acting around the issue of abortion – not on what others should do differently, or what should be done politically. We ask the question, “How would Jesus respond if He were here?” – and try to follow His example.
- I have been taking a class to learn more about becoming ProGrace, and here are some things I have learned/become aware of…(share your experience). How does that resonate with you?
In addition to these ideas, we have learned that certain words can really trigger people. So here are some ideas on what not to say. Watch what happens when you change these words just a little bit in your conversation:
- “child” instead of “unborn”
- “woman” instead of “mother”
- “all life” instead of “life”
- “ProGrace” instead of “pro-life”
If they ask a question you aren’t sure about, feel free to let them know you will get back to them, then post a question here in the comments, or email us directly. We can offer ideas and then you can circle back with your friend.
Lastly, and most importantly, pray before initiating this conversation.
If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God –who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. – James 1:5
What a promise we can claim! I’ve been having conversations like this for 10 years, and I still pray this verse back to God. He answers every time.
We are praying for you as you step out in faith to have this conversation. And we are praying this will be just the first of many conversations! If you haven’t already signed up for our monthly emails, you can sign up here. We send out thoughts and ideas to continue to motivate you to have more of these conversations. Because that is what the ProGrace movement is all about – transformed people who step out in faith to help transform this issue.
Blessings to you as you continue the journey!